Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Light Fog and Overcast Morning on the Lake

6:35

Oliver Hazard Perry Monument on Presque Isle

6:36
Awoke to the sound of birds (what else) but stayed in bed until 6:20, a sleep in for me.  It's 50 degrees outside, going up to the mid 70's, but warming up each day, with little hope of rain.  It would be a good morning to kayak, not a ripple on the lake and the fog is supposed to burn off quickly and we'll have another sunny day.

Yesterday I spent the day in Erie, for a routine doctor appointment (we measure our weeks in doctor's appointments), hit Dick's Sports for some goodies, then went to St. Vincent hospital where my old friend Stan Marshaus has been for a few days.  He went in with intense pain, diagnosed as a torn muscle, from golfing no doubt, but now he's having heart problems and may have a pace maker put in.  When I walked in, friends from Chautauqua were there, then a good friend from Cleveland, John Di Angelo, came in just as I was leaving.  With luck, he may be out at the end of the week.  He's having a second heart catheterisation today (electrical).

Because I was in Erie, I packed a lunch (peanut butter and honey sandwiches, Halle's favorite) and went to Presque Isle Park, a peninsula that hooks out over  the city of Erie on the lake.  It's an amazing park, with great beaches, views, kayaking, and a bike/walking/online skating path that circumscribes the entire peninsula.  I rode my bike out to the tip, to the Perry Monument, had lunch, then rode back to my car.  The day was overcast and cool, perfect for riding.  I stopped at a couple of deserted beaches which reminded me of pictures of the Outer Banks, only on a smaller scale.  I ought to do this at least once a month and it made me want to try online skates.

I drove home the long way, via # 5, which skirts the lake and goes through the center of Eire.  It's an impressive decaying city, like most in the northeast, but the homes along this route attest that it was once a wealthy place to live.  Many are still kept up, most on the west and near east side, but then they begin to decay as the neighborhoods turn in to homes for the poor.  I loved one of the squares, a huge tree filled park, surrounded by brick homes with porches, most fairly middle class, no huge mansions in this area.  I went along the lake road, passing vineyards alternating with lake homes set on the bluff above Lake Erie.  Lake front homes are more predominate in PA, perhaps because they are so close to a big city like Erie.  As you get into New York state, the homes are less numerous with more vineyards and undeveloped property.  I headed home via #394, through Westfield and Mayville.  I was really tired when I got home, about 4:00.

While I was in Erie, Evie did the major shopping for the week, for our dinner party on Friday with the breakfast club.  Not much fun for her, but she was able to get everything.  Hitting Sam's, Wegman's and Home Depot, especially on senior Tuesday's is not much fun.  But we saved 5% on our  groceries!

We had pork barbecue for dinner, watched The Devil Wears Prada, for the second time but still fun, and some American Idol before going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...