 |
| 5:54 |
 |
| 6:21 |
 |
| 6:21 |
 |
| 6:22 |
 |
| 6:23 |
It's 6:15 and have been up for a half hour. I have already been down to the beach to take a couple of photos and am waiting until the sun rises. It's now 6:33, Evie, Drew and Natalia are up and I am almost finished with the blog. We should be on our way by 7:00, after we finish our coffee.
 |
| Fish Market |
 |
| Jilly And Drewski |
 |
| Sunning |
 |
| Grant And The Harem |
 |
| My Cool New T-shirt |
We made the most of Friday despite missing Tom's family. Drew and I were the first ones up, of course. I walked out and took photos at 6:15, then again later when the sun rose. We sat in our Captain's chairs with coffee, talking about the day's news. Gradually Evie and Jill got up, and most of the rest of the crew was up by 10:00.
We decided on shrimp and oysters for dinner, along with whatever was leftover from the previous days. So Drew and I drove into Surf City, stopping first at Bert's Surf Shop because I wanted a t-shirt featuring our VW bus, which we drove through Europe for seven years. They had two left, and I bought the yellow one. From there we hit the fish market for a couple pounds of shrimp, three dozen oysters, and an oyster knife. Last stop was the local grocery for beer, ice, eggs, flavored seltzer for the girls, and coffee — all ordered up by the gals.
—
 |
| Hayden Jumping The Waves |
 |
| Playing Football With Dad |
 |
| Drew, Jill, And Hayden |
 |
| Dancing To The Music |
We didn't get home until close to noon, and a couple of gals were already on the beach. I decided to hit the beach briefly and take a swim before coming up for lunch. It was a beautiful afternoon but hot, and the ocean was refreshing. By 1:00 I made myself a sandwich; everyone but Evie and me had had enough sun by then. Around 1:30 I tried to take a nap, but to no avail, so I came out and read some, joining Evie. I went for a final walk on the beach around 3:30 and took a lot of photos, then Evie and I settled into the best seats in the house — the two Captain's Chairs — overlooking the ocean, enjoying a beer and peanuts until the group came up to start packing.
Jill and I boiled some shrimp and put it in an ice bath so Evie could make our favorite Asian shrimp with mayo and lemon. Yum. The other half will be boiled and eaten with horseradish sauce.
 |
| The Last Wave |
 |
| View From Our Porch |
.jpeg) |
| Kicking Back On The Porch |
.jpeg) |
| Marlena Eating Healthy |
By 5:00, we were mostly packed and ready to have the kids help carry our various things down to the car. Once that's done, we'll be set for an early start in the morning. That's why I'm writing this at 5:00 on Friday afternoon.
.jpeg) |
| The Happy Couple |
.jpeg) |
| Waiting For Dinner |
 |
| Master Shucker |
By 6:00, five of us oyster lovers were out on the porch waiting for Drew to open one oyster after another, taking turns as he dished them out with sauce and lemon. He managed to shuck three dozen in maybe 15 minutes as we devoured them. While he worked, the Slovenian sausages were simmering, and the Asian shrimp was ready whenever the boiled shrimp caught up.
We devoured the oysters, then the Slovenian sausage, Evie's Asian shrimp, and Jill's boiled shrimp with sauce. After dinner, we sat around the living room wondering what we'd forgotten to pack and what time we really wanted to leave tomorrow. Then Jill, Drew, Halle, and Hayden walked out and scattered the ashes of Daisy and Coco, their beloved dogs who passed away this past year, into the ocean.
By 8:00, we were all sitting in the living room watching Meet the Fockers. Yep, Meet the Fockers, although few made it to the end. Soon Grant and I tired of the film and sat out on the front porch talking and waiting for the moon to rise at 9:27.
 |
| 8:32 |
 |
| Stary Stary Night |
.jpeg) |
| The Moon At 9:32 |
Cool VW bus T shirt. I remember the 71 VW bus you had at Barton Hall .You had me wash it once. My dad had a 67 Vw bus during our 1st time in Turkey from 67 to 70 . It was the last year of the split windshield and it was blue and white . We spent our summers touring Europe , as far north as Norway . Never had any problems with it . Even drove it across the U.S. back to Arizona . The following year , my dad decided to get a new VW Squareback and we were back at RC for another 3 years . It was kind of cramped for us , especially when we had guests . I missed the bus. Now , I like looking at YouTube videos of people restoring those old VW buses.
ReplyDelete