Thursday, June 1, 2017

Three More Days (Until Beth And Family Arrive)


5:58

5:59

6:40

7:09
It was a clear morning at 5:45 when I got up, in time to see the sunrise at 6:00.  Now, an hour later, it has clouded up, the sun's hidden the lake shades of the darkest green and gray.  It's surprisingly chilly, 48º,  although 75 miles northeast of us in Buffalo, it's 58º.  No rain is forecast until Sunday of course when our family arrives.

More Rhododendrons
Yesterday morning was no fun but it could have been worse.  I had a dental appointment at 8:00 for some minor gum surgery.  They laid back the gum, cleaned out the infection on the root, filled in a crevasse, then pulled down the gums and stitched it back together.  It was relatively painless thanks to numerous shots of novocaine.  Interestingly, before the treatment, the dentist went over about 15 things that could go wrong and asked me to sign that I have read it.  It was not an encouraging way to begin the treatment and I have never had a dentist ask me to sign something like this before.  He seems like a pretty good guy, competent, and was in the Air Force for ten years, practicing in various States as well as Korea until he returned to Jamestown.  I go back in a week to get the stitches out.

After the procedure, I did some shopping at Home Depot before I came home.  I left the office with an ice pack on my cheek and was advised to keep it on my cheek for 15 minutes, 15 minutes off for as much of the day as I could.  So that's how I spent much of my day, icing my cheek, taking three Advils every six hours, penicillin every six hours, for the next day or two.

Evie made me a lunch, scrambled eggs with mushrooms, as I was to have a soft diet for the first 24 hours.  I then did little the rest of the afternoon, read some, napped, watched some TV and changed out my sourdough starter, throwing away all but a fourth of a cup, adding a cup of flour, a half cup of water.

Our only excitement was the coming of Cory, our plumber to fix a switch on our disposal and replace the innards of our two toilets that are giving us trouble.  After talking with him for twenty minutes, we decided it made more sense to get two new Gerber toilets, easy to fix and reliable, unlike our American Standard which he totally dislikes.  So he will be back on Friday to replace them and we will have another nice bill.  Fortunately, I finally got a nice tax return from the State of New York which should more than cover the cost.

4:00 In The Afternoon
Around 4:00, the weed wacker I ordered from Amazon arrived, so that gave me something to do for about 15 minutes, putting it together although I did not try it because the battery needed to be charged.  This is our first weed wacker and should make trimming much easier, no hand shears.

Dinner was another classic dish which we have been making since Turkey, lemon chicken with lots of oregano, and rice.  I was able to eat it in between icing my jaw and it tasted good.  I have been hungry ever since I went to the dentist,  probably because I was not supposed to eat anything really tasty.  We watched the final episode of The Americans and are a bit lost as to where the series is going.  Lots of hints but either we are too stupid to understand them or they are unsure of where to go.  I hope it's the latter.  We ended the night with the second episode of House Of Cards, also confusing, at least for us, as we are not sure of what is going on.  I think both of us are losing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...