Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Muggy, Sunny, and Hot

6:30
Morning Kayaking

Enjoying the Late Afternoon with Leonards

Chris and Kathy, the Leonard's daughters

Dinner in the Cool House

Up later than usual, to an uncomfortably warm house, 74 degrees, though it's 67 out.  I opened the windows to let in what seems to be a cool breeze, as I sit here writing.  I can hear the purple martins singing, an occasional boat motor, but all the rest is quiet.  Today's supposed to be a record setting high,  with an air quality alert.  Where's the cool, crisp Chautauqua June I love.

We anticipated an easy Tuesday, working when we wanted but relaxing as well.  For Evie, it was busier than expected though, as we asked the Leonard's over for dinner, so she had quite a bit to do to get ready for dinner.  Early morning, however, we went kayaking, out to Long Point, then across to Wells Bay and home as it was already getting very warm on the lake.  I then went off to Mayville for a blood test, then on to Tops to shop for a few things for our dinner.  When I came home, Evie was cutting the lawn in the brutal heat, and she was red faced and sweating, about as 'hot' as I have ever seen her.  Just looking at her made me want to jump in the lake, which I did, to cut weeds and keep cool.  In fact, the only really comfortable place yesterday was the lake though we closed the windows early, and when you entered the house, it felt like we had air conditioning.

The Leonard's came over with their daughters, Kathy and Chris, and Chris's children, Isabelle and Brian around 6:00.  It was cool enough by then to sit outside under our trees for a drink, pupus, and conversation, but we decided to come inside for dinner.  Evie made her breaded tilapia with spinach, along with coleslaw, broccoli, and brown rice.  Kathy made a gingerbread, with blueberries, for dessert with ice cream.  Everyone seemed to enjoy their meal, especially young Brian, who devoured the fish, as well as the rest of his dinner.  They stayed till around 8:30, then Evie and the girls went outside to play one final game of bean bag and I stayed inside and did most of the dishes.  I watched the first half of the NBA finals, then went up to read and to bed.  It was a very hot and muggy night, despite the ceiling fan, reminding me of the days when I was a boy in Euclid, trying to get to sleep on a hot windless night on Edgecliff.

This morning Ron and I are going to begin our project of walking Chautauqua Creek, from Barcelona, the mouth, to Sherman, the source.  We will walk it in stages, hopefully finding ways to navigate it if it gets too difficult or deep.  We will walk three or four miles each stage, today starting at Lake Eric.

1 comment:

  1. Hi uncle Tom. I'm reading your blog on a hot night on Edgecliff. It's a hot one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...