Thursday, June 7, 2012

Another Day in Darien

Granny and Her Boy

Marisa Gets Ready for Bed, to Read
It looks like a perfect day in Darien, weather wise, sunny with a high of 73 degrees, perfect for being outside.  Unfortunately, both Marisa and Mitch have school, only Tyler is done.

Yesterday was a busy day for both Evie and me.  Beth is still recovering from her hand surgery, so Evie took over the house, cooking, cleaning, taking care of Beth, getting things organized.  And I was the chaffeur of the day, taking Tyler for his exam in Fairfield around 8:00.  I stopped in Fairfield for an hour, to avoid heading  back to Darien in the rush, and found a neat, old world coffee shop, La Vista, next to the community theater and yoga studion.  It's the antithesis of Starbucks cool, beat up, menu on a chalk board, beat up couches, and hippy looking baristas, not exactly the word to describe them but it will do.  I had an amazing scone, coffee, watched some TV and enjoyed watching the eclectic mix of customers, from business men, to college students, to old hippies like me.  I stopped in the yoga studio, picked up the schedule for Beth and headed home to slow, backed up traffic on # 95, despite the time, around 9:45.

When I got home, Evie had the house upside down, having already done three or four loads or wash despite the fact that she had hardly slept the night before.  She was running on pure adrenaline I suppose.  At noon, I headed back to Fairfield, to pick up Tyler.   He spent as hour trying to sell some of his old textbooks and buying used one's for next year, then we headed  back to Darien, getting back around 2:30.

I had a few hours to relax before heading off at 4:30 to pick up Marisa from her Brownies group, then taking her to Darien High School for her dance practice.  We were there until 6:00 when we came home for dinner.  We ordered some takeout Chinese, and Tyler drove to the restaurant, as he has to get lots of practice in with an adult in the car before he can get his liscense.  He did well.

We sat around with the kids until 8:00 when Marisa went up to bed, happily, as usual, to read then go to sleep.  She's a good reader, enjoys reading each night, and always has a book next to her bed.  Evie went up early, too.  Rami didn't get home from Chicago until 10:00 and he watched some of Pleasantville with Tyler and me until I went up to bed at 10:30.  A busy day for Evie and me; I don't know how today's mothers do it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...